Thursday, November 15, 2007

Train Ride to Lhasa

Well hello. It's been a while. First of all, I'm in Tibet. Second of all, I've never done the email-to-blog post, but I hope it works (Blogger is blocked). Third of all, I'm back in the photo game again and I hope the pictures I attached come through.
 
Ok, so we're in Lhasa! Got in late last night and our tour guide picked us up at the train station. Those pictures are both shots out the window from the train. It was an amazing ride. 47 hours in a train. We spent most of our time between the dining car, where we frequently got kicked out for not eating and playing cards, and the "room," which was six tiny bunks crammed together in a 6' by 7' rectangle with three bunk stacked vertically on either side lengthwise. Our roomates seemed nice although they spoke Chinese, so we couldn't understand them. I really didn't mind the train ride, but I could have done without the overflowing toilets.
 
The train reaches altitudes over 5000 meters above sea level, so they pump oxygen into it at points which is very helpful to acclimatise. I've never been this high up before and it's interesting how easily one can get dizzy and winded. It was nice to be lazy for a while and I had fun reading "Seven Years in Tibet," which gave me an interesting point of view coming into the country.
 
I'm going to stop writing for now in case this doesn't post. Perhaps I'll add more later if it does. Otherwise, I'm pretty excited to post about Lhasa. Hugs to everyone. Feel free to email me comments as well as posting them. -Ell

No comments: