Thursday, November 15, 2007

LHASA!!!!

Hey crew!! So I forgot the explain those pics on the train post. One of them is nomads hearding yaks, and the other is the largest/highest freshwater lake in the world.
 
The new pics are mini-monks (my own moniker, aren't they young?!) at Sera Monastery goofing around and Barkhor Square in front of Jokhang Temple (please note the Himalayas and Potala Palace ((the big white building to the top right)) in the background).
 
So, this place is FASCINATING. There's the whole Forbidden City, Roof of the World thing, which just makes the place sound amazing and mysterious without knowing anything else. Then you've got the whole Tibetan lifestyle; nomadic, yak-hearding Buddhists, I mean, how far away from suburban America can you get? And on top of that there's the Chinese power-play, cultural suppression thing. Wow. (If I can be more blocked than I already am, it's certainly going to happen now)
 
So, we woke up this morning and had a FREEZING breakfast on the roof of our hotel. Then we went out to find some mittens before our guide arrived and we got totally turned around in the market. We got back ok, and it's kind of fun to be lost when you're in a neat place. The guide then took us around the corner to the Jokhang Temple which is 1,300 years old. There were Buddhists out front prostrating themselves. They had mats and handguards and they're out there for who knows how long throwing themselves on the ground and then getting up again repeatedly while praying. The strength of this faith is incredible.
 
When we went in to the temple there were offerings of money and yak butter (for lamps and eating) everywhere. It's strange to see monetary bills littering the floor and instead of taking them, people are just throwing more on the pile. I mean, thousands of people and no one is taking a penny because it's an offering. So, we walked around inside while Luta (our guide) told us about his religion and the significance of the different statues and symbols. Will write more soon, have to switch computers w Matt........

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dearest Ellie and Matt,
It's great to read your updates and look at the photos you post to your blogs. I especially enjoy looking at all the snow in the photos you posted today, from my warm blanket covered sofa. Terry tells me we may get some snow here, but nothing like what your seeing. I think when it snows here, I'll get a picture of me playing in the snow, and email it to the children in Port Royal.
Terry got me some Chinese food the other day, and it was quite tasty, now I know what your raving about.
Right now it's raining, but I have to go for a fast run around the back yard to make sure none of those pesky squirrels or bunnies are out there. They just seem to take over as soon as I'm not looking.
XXOO Tripod