Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Tongue Twisters

The following is an incomplete list, divided by region/country, of words that we have learned during our trip:

China
  • Ni hao. (nee how) Hello.
  • Xie xie. (tsay tsay) Thank you.
  • Ce suo (tsuh sue-o) Bathroom
  • Tang mien (tahng mee-en) Noodle soup
  • Jiaoz (jee-ow-tsuh) Dumplings
  • Duo shao qian (dwoy sh-ow chen) How much is it?
Tibet
  • Tashi deleck. (tahsh-ee del-ai) Hello.
  • Tuchina. (tuh-chin-ah) Thank you.
Nepal
  • Namaste. (nah-mah-stay) Hello or Goodbye. Literally: I salute the God within you.
Vietnam
  • Xin chao. (sin jow) Hello.
  • Cam on. (cum uhn) Thank you.
  • Gia bao nhieu? (zhah bow nyou) How much is it?
  • Pho (foh) Noodle



Phrases we have not learned how to successfully communicate are:

We're brother and sister. -Numerous times, people have pointed to Matt and then a ring on my hand or otherwise insinuated that we're married or dating. I have failed in every sign language attempt to explain and have gone as far as to draw out a mother, father, daughter and son standing next to a house. Then I have pointed at the kids in the drawing, and then to Matt and myself, but this seems to accidentally convey that we have two children together!

Now could you please say it? -I have tried to say a word in your language, and after a couple of tries, I get my message across. But before I get my coffee, or go to the bathroom, or whatever it was I was asking about, I want you to say the confusing word so that I can hear it and improve my pronunciation. This concept is so intangible and unrelated to the discussion (since language questions have little to do with coffee or toilets...) that every attempt to convey it has so far ended in confusion and failure.

No comments: